Thursday, December 5, 2013

Three Layer Stamping

Hello everyone! I bet you're ready for a little crafty fun and I'm so happy to share a card I made with you. I'm always on the lookout for interesting new ways to put together cards and I hope you are, too. The following is a tutorial showing how I made this card using 3 layer stamping.
ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Supplies
Cardstock - two colors - One color cut to 2" x 3 1/4", 3" x 4 1/4" and 4" x 5 1/4" and the other color cut to 2 1/4" x 3 1/2", 3 1/4" x 4 1/2" and 8 1/2" x 5 1/4".
Embossing ink
Ink
Embossing powder
Twine
Decorative embellishment or a button
Adhesive
Double sided adhesive squares
Sentiment stamp
Stamp for repeating image
Heat gun

I really think 3 layer stamping makes for such an elegant card and after reading through this step-by-step tutorial, you'll be able to easily whip one up for yourself in no time at all. It's a fun technique to learn and you'll have everyone thinking you're a stamping rock star. Let's get started.
1ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step One: Cut your cardstock to the correct measurements.
2ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Two: Working with the Ultra Smooth Premiun White cardstock, put a tiny piece of low-tack adhesive in the center of the back of the small paper piece and then center and layer it on top of the medium size piece. Next adhere the medium size paper piece to the largest piece. You want the adhesive to hold the pieces together while you're stamping but to come apart easily when you're done.
3ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Three: Stamp out your sentiment onto the smallest piece of white cardstock. I used a sentiment from the Stamp It Australia - Twinkle - Believe stamp set.  Next, starting close to the center, stamp with the stamp you want to use for the repeating pattern using embossing ink. For my repeating stamp, I used the Stamp It Australia - Twinkle - Falling Snowflake stamp set.   I started in the center and worked my way out making sure to have a few stamped images going half way off the edges of the card. Now carefully take the layers apart. You'll then sprinkle embossing powder on each layer, tap off the excess and then heat set the images using your heat gun.
4ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Four: Grab the other three cut pieces of cardstock and adhere the smallest white card onto the smallest green card. Do the same with the medium size white card and adhere it to the medium size green card. Then center and adhere the stacks together.
5ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Five: Now it's time to add some embellishments, if you desire. I wrapped some gold twine around the papers I had glued together and tied a bow. Then I found a fun gold holiday horn embellishment and glued it next to the bow. I added a few bits of double-sided adhesive tape under a couple of edges of the horn to level it.
6ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Six: Fold the 8 1/2" x 5 1/4" piece of cardstock in half to make your card base. Center and adhere the largest white layer to the card base. Next, put double-sided adhesive on the back of the medium green cardstock stack; center and adhere it to the card base.
7ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Step Seven: I always like to add decoration to the inside of my cards. I feel it gives them a more polished look. For the inside, I cut a piece of white cardstock to 4' x 5 1/4". Next, I centered and adhered it to the inside of the card. Using the same repeating stamp from the front of the card, I stamped a couple of snowflakes onto the white cardstock. Just a little something to tie the inside of the card to the outside of the card.

I hope after reading through this tutorial that you've been inspired to make a three layered stamped card. Before you leave here today, I wanted to suggest that you please check out all the awesome classes that are being offered  at The Art Studio @ SNR. I know you'll find at least one class you want to take.
ThreelayerstampSW.jpg

Merry Christmas by Stacy Harper Watson Supplies Cardstock: Bazzill and Spectrum Noir; Ink: Tsukineko, Embossing powder: Martha Stewart; Stamps: Crafter's Companion; Adhesive: Scotch, Darice and Beacon; Other: Twine and Horn embellishment

2 comments:

  1. You make this look so easy. I have got to try this technique. Awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete